Acne anywhere can be a problem, but acne on your butt… is especially embarrassing. Typically, there are two types of acne: facial, and body, which includes anywhere below your face, including your derrière.
Understanding Body Acne
Before you start treating your butt or body acne, see a dermatologist or your doctor to make sure it isn’t folliculitis (or inflamed hair follicles), which may need to be treated with specific dermatologic products.
While bacteria comes into play when it comes to body acne, the blemishes are most commonly brought on by hormonal factors that cause sebum overproduction and an accumulation of dead skin cells. When sebum (or oil) and dead skin cells build up and clog a pore, bacteria on your skin can easily and quickly thrive to form a pimple. Along with keeping skin clean and free of bacteria, a skin care routine that uses a combination of salicylic acid, which exfoliates dead skin cells and clears out the pores, and benzoyl peroxide, which kills bacteria, is the trick to getting rid of embarrassing body acne.
Live a Healthier Lifestyle for Healthier Skin
Before layering on the acne-fighting products, making a few small changes to your diet and lifestyle can put you on the path to clearer skin.
- When dealing with acne of any kind, it’s important to stay hydrated by drinking lots of water and reduce your intake of white sugar, which can feed bacteria.
- What you eat inherently feeds your skin. Make sure your diet limits greasy, or processed foods; and instead focuses on nutrient-rich ingredients, fruits, and vegetables.
- Bacteria thrive on sweat. Whenever you break a sweat or work out, make sure you shower immediately after and have fresh clothes to change into. On top of that, make sure the clothes you do work out in are loose fitting and made with a breathable fabric.
Fight Body Acne with Natural Products
Combine a healthier lifestyle with products filled with natural, acne-busting ingredients to keep your skin clear and radiant
Start by cleansing your body with the Soft Foam Deep Cleanse or Grapefruit Cleanser. Soft Foam Deep Cleanse gets down into pores to eliminate excess oil and contains natural blemish-fighting ingredients like cinnamon bark extract. Grapefruit Cleanser has a light exfoliating action to gently remove dead skin and helps to brighten the skin, which is helpful for pigmentation issues after a breakout. When cleansing, you want to stay away from over-scrubbing your body. Use a healthy amount of product, but don’t scrub your skin to the point that it’s angry, irritated, and inflamed. The bacteria can also spread because of excess scrubbing, making things worse.
For a full acne-fighting regimen, Doctor D. Schwab’s Adios Pimples® 3-Step Acne Control System includes the Soft Foam Deep Cleanse along with Controlling Cream and Controlling Balm with Tea Tree Oil. The Controlling Balm uses natural botanicals and salicylic acid to clear acne blemishes, decongest pores, and reduce the appearance of inflamed skin. The Controlling Cream is a little stronger, using benzoyl peroxide, peptides, and botanicals to clear up more aggressive forms of acne and blemished skin. You can use the Controlling Cream for spot treatments or all over for more stubborn acne, while the Controlling Balm is ideal for milder cases of acne and to maintain clear skin once blemishes are under control.
Keep Skin Clean and Soothed
Anything you can do to keep skin clean and fight the appearance of inflammation is going to help give the best results for clearer skin.
- Doctor D. Schwab’s Tea Tree Prep Lotion can be used as an all-over toner to remove impurities and excess oil and soothe skin that is aggravated.
- The Arnica Mask is a highly concentrated blend of peptides and natural extracts to soothe dry, aggravated skin and reduce the appearance of redness and irritation. Because it is a rich formula with super-hydrating ingredients like shea butter, just a light layer is recommended for skin that is congested or acneic.
- The Controlling Mask with Tea Tree Oil can be used several times per week to really clean the skin and unclog pores. Herbal extracts like sage and tea tree oil reduce the appearance of inflammation, normalize the skin, and clean out impurities for more balanced and healthier skin.
Visit Doctor D. Schwab online to share a review of your favorite acne-fighting product.